Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sentimental Sunday - Traditions



Last week I spent time, as we all did, remembering my Mother. With all of the current hoop-la surrounding Mother's Day, I wondered why I had no memories of Mother's Day Traditions in my family. I do remember Mom receiving handmade gifts and jewelry or perfume from Woolworths. Maybe the fact that my Dad and two of my brothers had birthdays between May 8 and May 14 had something to do with it. May is also First Communion season. May altars for the Virgin Mary were also traditions in our house. With all these demands on Mom's time, I'm sure she was never forgotten. Love you Mom!

3 comments:

  1. THANKS FOR SHARING-YOUR WORDS BRING BACK THAT TIME SO WELL, YOU ARE RIGHT, I REMEMBER WE ALL MADE THINGS FOR MOTHERS DAY IN SCHOOL AND INDEED POOR MOM HAD TO SHARE HER DAY WITH ALL THOSE BIRTHDAYS AND EVERY OTHER YEAR WAS SOMEONES FIRST COMMUNION AND YET MOM ALWAYS MADE EACH BIRTHDAY OR COMMUNION FEEL SPECIAL
    EVEN ON HER SPECIAL DAY. AND REMEMBER
    THE WONDERFUL BLOSSOMING OF THE LILACS AND PEONIES AT THE SAME TIME?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a large family. Which one are you in this photo? Your mom is very attractive, and I love that your dad has a pipe in his mouth for this photo. I have a lot of pipe-smokers in my family. No one smokes one now but I still remember the scent of the unsmoked tobacco, though I didn't much like the smoke. Great photo! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy, thanks. I am the tall girl in the back row. I too loved the smell of pipe tobacco, especially cherry!

    ReplyDelete