Saturday, November 9, 2013

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun! - Proof of Lineage and Honoring a Patriot

It's time for another of Randy Seaver's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun challenges!  

Your mission, should you decide to accept it (cue the Mission Impossible! music) is to:

1) What genealogy fun have you had this week?  What is your genealogy highlight of the week?  It could be finding a new ancestor, reading a new genealogy book, hearing a speaker at a seminar or society program, watching a webinar or Hangout On Air, or anything else that you have enjoyed.

2)  Tell us about it in a blog post on your own blog, in a comment to this post, or in a Google Plus or Facebook post.



This week I met with a friend who recently joined the Daughters of the American Revolution to see what proofs of lineage she used for her membership application.  She showed me the book she had used and explained the types of proofs preferred.  It seems that wills, marriage records, and even census forms are commonly used.

Returning home, I began a list of what I would need to assemble.  Most of what I need would come from two places.  The records are in Boone County, Indiana and Jasper County, Illinois.  Then I remembered that on a trip to Illinois ten years ago, my husband and I stopped in Jasper County for a couple of days so we could visit the cemetery his ancestors were buried in and visit the courthouse.  It was my first courthouse trip and I was able to copy some records.  Today I checked my files and some of what I copied ten years ago were the two wills I need for the DAR application!  How do you top that for fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment